The Alcatraz East Museum is committed to aiding in the fight against abuse. Here, you can find contact information for organizations that can help.
My Sister’s Place (MSP) is part of an interactive community committed to eradicating domestic violence. They provide safe and confidential emergency shelter and transitional-to-permanent housing to battered women and their children. They also provide supportive programs, counseling, education, and advocacy to all survivors of domestic violence. Their goal is to empower survivors to take control of their own lives.
- 84% of prison inmates were abused as children.
- More than 80% of abusers are a parent or someone close to a child.
- One out of ten babies born today are born to mothers who are abusing drugs.
- According to the U.S. Department of Justice, approximately one in four women will experience intimate partner violence at some point in their lives. About 3 women are killed every day in the U.S. by a current or former intimate partner.
- Battering of women is the most under-reported crime in America.
- One woman is beaten by her husband or partner every 15 seconds in the United States.
- Approximately 95% of the victims of domestic violence are women.
- 25% – 45% of all women who are battered are battered during pregnancy.
- Nearly five million cases of elder abuse occur each year, but 85% go unreported.
- The typical victim of elder abuse is a woman over 75 who lives alone.
- Close to 50% of those with dementia experience some form of abuse.
- Elder financial abuse costs older Americans more than $2.6 billion per year.
- Family, friends, caregivers, and neighbors are the culprits in financial abuse cases more than half the time.
How You Can Help:
Report Child Abuse: (800) 422-4453
This hotline puts you in touch with a counselor who will listen to your concerns and needs, and provide referrals utilizing a database of thousands of emergency, social service and support resources located in the United States and Canada.
National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-7233
The Hotline serves as the only domestic violence hotline in the nation with access to more than 5,000 shelters and domestic violence programs across the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Eldercare Locator: (800) 677-1116
The Eldercare Locator is a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging. It helps older persons and their families access home and community-based services like transportation, meals, home care, and caregiver support services.